What can FIRST do for you?
FIRST offers comprehensive services both for persons with disabilities and the people who love and support them. We connect the dots between families, schools, and government agencies to create the best network of support around each of our clients. These systems and their rules change frequently, but we always know when they do and how to navigate these changes. F I R S T can:
- Work with you to identify, gain access to, and advocate for community resources
- Provide information and support about your child or adult's special needs
- Help you understand the education system and your child’s education plan
- Provide parent training for families with young children with autism that will lead to better communication, increased positive behavior, and improved social skills
- Provide early intervention services for your young child and family
- Provide information and coordinate services that help your older child transition to adulthood and gain independence
- Advise you about steps your family can take to advocate for your child
- Work with you to advocate for institutional, governmental, and educational change that better supports people with disabilities and special needs
- Train educators and agency staff about educational issues, including the specific needs of preschoolers and students with disabilities
Many of the staff members at FIRST Resource Center are parents of children with special needs or disabilities. We understand firsthand how overwhelming and confusing it can be to find resources and support for someone you love. In order to aid others through this process, the FIRST team is dedicated to supporting our clients and passing along their professional expertise and knowledge.
Our team members are trained in early intervention, special education law and procedures, community support and resources, specific mental and developmental disabilities, and associated issues. The team members at FIRST will serve as some of the greatest allies in providing you the support, services, and resources you need to make your future with special needs and disabilities bright and supported!
FIRST celebrates serving families in Western North Carolina since 2002.